At The Bar
Making your own home-infused spice rum is very easy and will take you only a couple of days... not much advanced planning at all! Spirits infused with dry ingredients will last indefinitely in a cool dark place and require no refrigeration. My Spice Rum recipe is used in three Cocktail Chameleon cocktails: All Saints (pg. 148), Old Black Magic (pg. 95), Tiki Collins (pg. 115).
- 1 cup aged golden rum
- 3 allspice berries
- 3 cloves
- 1 cardamom pod
- 1 segment of star anise pod
- 1/2 cinnamon stick
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 1 strip of orange peel (no white pith)
- 1/2 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- Combine all of the ingredients in 1-pt. mason jar.
- Cover jar tightly and shake to combine.
- Let sit in a dark place for 2 days, shaking once daily.
- Strain mixture through cheesecloth or a fine-mesh sieve into a clean bottle and discard spices.
- Spiced Rum will keep indefinitely if sealed tightly and stored in a dark, dry place.
- Don’t forget to label your infused spirit bottles for easy identification!
Watch the video on how to create your own home-infused all-natural spirits that will make your cocktails taste the best they can!